Can I file for a divorce if we were married in another country?

Answered by Yelda Mesbah Bartlett, Esq., Founder and Principal of Bartlett Law Firm.


Yes. A person may file for divorce in any U.S. state as long as one of the spouses reside there. Some states, like California, require the spouse residing in the state to have lived there a minimum of 6 months in the state (and 3 months in the county) before allowing such a lawsuit.

Other states, like Nevada, require a minimum of 6 week residency for the filing party unless the parties married there, last cohabited there, and so on.

Because these rules vary from state to state, be sure to consult an attorney within your state for more up-to-date and accurate information.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s